Smoked Eggplant Salsa is a vegan appetizer that is easy to make and exotic enough to surprise your loved ones. I learned this recipe during my travels to the interior parts of India. During the hot summers in India, people would grill eggplant over charcoal stoves, and that gives this dish a smokey flavor. Enjoy!
YouTube Recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKYkcylkU70&t=3s
2 medium-size Italian eggplants
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 jalapeno, finely chopped OPTIONAL
- Place eggplants over medium heat on a charcoal or a gas stove, if you are making this in your home kitchen, then use one gas stove per eggplant.
- Using a pair of tongs, rotate the eggplants 45 degrees every 3 minutes. In about 12 minutes, the entire eggplant should be cooked. Remove and set aside on a plate. Cover with another plate and set aside to cool, for about 30 minutes.
- NOTE: Eggplants may puncture and some liquid will ooze out and that is totally fine. Some parts of eggplant, if not cooked, will need to be chopped off.
- Meanwhile, mix the rest of the ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
- When the eggplants are cool enough to handle, chop off the tops and using your fingers, remove the skin. Discard skin.
- Mince the eggplants on a cutting board using a nice. Add this pureed eggplant mixture to the mixing bowl. Toss.
- Right before serving, drizzle some olive oil on top of the dish and serve with some pita bread.
Leave a comment