YouTube: Ayurvedic Fall Kitchari
3 Tablespoons ghee
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
2 Tablespoons garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 teaspoon ground asafetida (hing)
7-8 curry leaves, each torn into two OPTIONAL
1 Tablespoon jalapeno, minced OPTIONAL
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup short grain rice
1 cup split yellow mung lentils
1 teaspoon sea salt OR as required
- Add rice and lentils in a bowl and rise under cold running water. Repeat this process three times and set aside for an hour.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt ghee. Add cumin seeds and saute for a few seconds.
- Add fenugreek seeds and black mustard seeds, and allow crackling.
- When the crackling has somewhat stopped, add garlic and cook for a few seconds until garlic turns light golden brown.
- Add asafetida powder and ground turmeric. Mix.
- Add soaked rice and lentils and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add 5 cups water, bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once the mixture has come to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until all water has been absorbed by the rice.
- Use the back of your spatula and mash kitchari to resemble a porridge. Serve.