This vegan Mulligatawny (black pepper water) soup is a popular south-Indian soup. It is spicy and delicious, and the use of butternut squash makes this soup a little sweet.
YouTube: Vegan Mulligatawny Soup
2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
1/2 cup white onion, minced
1 Tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
1 jalapeno, seeds and stem removed, roughly chopped
7-8 curry leaves, each leaf torn into two pieces, OPTIONAL
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup French lentils
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup regular coconut milk
1 Tablespoon lime juice
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon sea salt OR as required
- In a 4 qt sauce pan over medium heat, add coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot, add onions, ginger, jalapeños, curry leaves, and sea salt. Stir. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir once every minute.
- Add lentils and ground spices - turmeric, coriander, black pepper. Stir and cook for 3 minutes. Stir often.
- Add butternut squash and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and mix. Bring it to a boil.
- Once the soup has come to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup CAREFULLY using a blender, and pour it back into the pot.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice, cilantro, and adjust salt. Soup is ready to be served.