I love lentils, and this is one of my favorite lentil recipes. Garlic infused, or you can even infuse this recipe with Ginger, and it takes lentils to yet another level. I hope you enjoy it!
YouTube: Garlic Lentils
8 curry leaves, each chopped in half and then thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed, and chopped
1 large Roma tomato, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 cup French lentils
1 Tablespoon jaggery OR brown sugar
3 Tablespoons ghee
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
A pinch of asafetida
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Rinse lentils twice under cold running water. Add 2 cups water and set aside for an hour.
- When the lentils have soaked for an hour, heat a 3 qt sauce pan over medium heat, add 2 cups water and salt. Mix.
- Add lentils along with the soaked water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduced heat to simmer, and cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir once every five minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the 'seasoning' by heating ghee in a small fry pan.
- When the ghee is hot, add black mustard seeds and allow crackling.
- When the crackling has somewhat stopped, add cumin seeds, garlic, curry leaves, and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes and jaggery to the lentils. Stir.
- Add the seasoning and cilantro, and mix. Cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Serve.