Potatoes! Probably one of the most popular foods. Ever. Period. There are a million ways to make them and today we decided to do 'em biracial style. Mixing Sweet and White to create a delicious blend in the flavor and texture.
YouTube: Coconut Flavored Potatoes
2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6-7 curry leaves, OPTIONAL
2 green chilies, cut in half OR 1 Jalapeno, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 cup red onion, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup Idaho potatoes, diced (skin-on)
1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- In a 3 qt saucepan over medium heat, heat coconut oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add black mustard seeds and allow crackling. Cover partially with a lid so that the mustard seeds don't splutter outside the pan.
- When the crackling has somewhat stopped, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, and green chilies.
- Cover and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add red onions, salt, and ginger. Mix.
- Cook for 4 minutes. Stir once every minute.
- Add ground turmeric, and mix.
- Add potatoes (both), and mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover the pot, and cook for 25 minutes. Stir the pot once every 5 minutes.
- Check to see if the potatoes have been cooked through, if so, then garnish with cilantro, remove from heat, and serve.