I had this delicious sandwich at our sauce factory. I fell in love with it immediately, the smokiness from the charred bread and the grilled vegetables makes this healthy sandwich almost a treat. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
YouTube: Eggplant Sandwich
8 sourdough bread slices
4 Tablespoons butter
1 medium-size eggplant, cut in 1 inch slices
2 beefsteak tomatoes, top removed, cut in 1/2 inch slices
1 bottle of Rupen's Vangi Eggplant Chutney
2 cups arugula
2 oz Brie cheese, thinly sliced OPTIONAL
- Apply butter on one side of each of the sourdough bread slices.
- Pre-heat a grill pan over medium heat.
- When the grill pan is hot, place bread slices (in batches), buttered side facing the pan, and gently press using a spatula. Grill for approximately two minutes on each side OR until the bread gets grill marks. Remove and set aside. Repeat this process with all the slices.
- Similarly, grill eggplant on the grill pan. Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich, liberally apply eggplant chutney on 4 bread slices on one side. Place some arugula, one slice of the tomato and cheese, and a slice of grilled eggplant on top of the bread. Finally, place a slice of bread (without chutney on it) to make a sandwich.
- Cut diagonally, and serve.