2 medium size eggplants
4 Tablespoons mustard/olive oil
2 cups red heirloom tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ inch fresh ginger, grated
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Place one eggplant over a medium heat GAS burner (yes, directly over the burner).
- Roast for 3 minutes. Use a pair of tongs and turn the eggplant every 3 minutes, cooking all 4 sides of the eggplant. This should take about 12 minutes, for smaller eggplants, it may take about 10 minutes.
- Place the eggplant on a plate and let it cool for 20 minutes. Repeat the same process with the second eggplant.
NOTE: If the eggplant has not cooked completely or has been punctured, then you may have to finish cooking it in the oven at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- When the eggplants are cool, gently peel the charred skin. Chop of the top end and discard skin and the top end of the eggplants. If there is any visible eggplant juice, then strain it and add it to the dip when it's prepared.
- Finely chop eggplant (almost to a paste) and add to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix. Add eggplant juice, if any. Adjust salt as needed. Refrigerate and serve chilled.