2 cups white basmati rice, rinsed 3 times, drained and set aside
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
4-5 black pepper corns
1 cinnamon stick, broken into two
3-4 cardamom pods, muddled
2 tablespoons ghee
4-5 chicken thighs, boneless skinless – each thigh cut in 4 pieces or more
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
½ cup plain full fat yogurt
2 tablespoons RUPEN’S TANDOORI SPICE MIX
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon saffron soaked in ¼ cup milk
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon ghee
- Mix ingredients for chicken marinade and set aside.
- Arrange a casserole with ghee, whole spices and onions.
- Add chicken marinade and spread it on top of the onions, along with all the marinade from the chicken.
- Add saffron, cilantro and mint layer.
- Add rice layer and pour in the ghee on top of rice.
- Sprinkle half cup of water on the rice and cover the casserole with a lid.
- Pre-heat oven at 350 F and cook for about 1 hour, this should give enough time for chicken and rice to cook and blend their flavors, check for doneness.
- Serve hot with raita.
Leave a comment